Courageous Conversations: Sample Guidelines
By Scott Hughes
The following are sample guidelines that could be used as-is or modified for your local church. Ideally, a design team would either adopt one or a modified version to be displayed during a Courageous Conversation. These guidelines establish the expectations of tone and manner of conversation for participants.
- "Principles for a Formal Conversation Process" by Margaret Wheatley in "Turning to One Another"
- Touchstones for Courageous Conversations
- Eric Law's "Respectful Communication Guidelines"
- 10 Guidelines for Dialogue from "More Light, Less Heat" by Joseph Phelps
- Principles for Bible Study (from Disciple Bible Study)
Scott Hughes is the Executive Director of Congregational Vitality & Intentional Discipleship, Elder in the North Georgia Conference, M.Div. Asbury Theological Seminary, D. Min. Southern Methodist University, co-host of the Small Groups in the Wesleyan Way podcast, creator of the Courageous Conversations project, and facilitator of the How to Start Small Groups teaching series.
Contact Us for Help
View staff by program area to ask for additional assistance.