Courageous Conversations: Sample Guidelines
By Scott Hughes
The following are sample guidelines that could be used as-is or modified for your local church. Ideally, a design team would either adopt one or a modified version to be displayed during a Courageous Conversation. These guidelines establish the expectations of tone and manner of conversation for participants.
- "Principles for a Formal Conversation Process" by Margaret Wheatley in "Turning to One Another"
- Touchstones for Courageous Conversations
- Eric Law's "Respectful Communication Guidelines"
- 10 Guidelines for Dialogue from "More Light, Less Heat" by Joseph Phelps
- Principles for Bible Study (from Disciple Bible Study)
Scott Hughes is the Executive Director of Congregational Vitality & Intentional Discipleship, Elder in the North Georgia Conference, M.Div. Asbury Theological Seminary, D. Min. Southern Methodist University, co-host of the Small Groups in the Wesleyan Way podcast, creator of the Courageous Conversations project, and facilitator of the How to Start Small Groups teaching series.