The Inheritance of God Worship Series: THE INHERITANCE OF (em)POWER(ment)
June 30, 2019
Week 3 – The Inheritance of (em)Power(ment)
Fellowship – Snacks (10 minutes)
Gathering Time (5-10 minutes). In pairs or groups of three, discuss the following: “What are the benefits and risks of having power?”
Read: 2 Kings 2:1-2, 6-14
- Do you identify more with Elijah (the one who is superior; the one who is the mentor) or with Elisha (the one who seems to be dependent on another; the one who is the mentee)? Why?
- Who holds power in your church? [pastor, church council, trustees, staff/pastor relations committee, worship committee, informal matriarchs or patriarchs] Do they exercise power well? If not, who might you be in conversation with to help?
- How can we be good stewards of power? [Agree to mentor those who do not feel as though they are ready for leadership.]
- If the “author” in authority can mean to “breathe into or a creative agent,” how might that change how we view those in authority?
- Who have you been empowered by? [God, leaders at work or at church, family members]
- Whom do you feel called to empower?
Prayer (10 minutes). Share prayer requests and respond appropriately.
Sending Forth (2 minutes). End by praying the following or similar prayer:
Triune God, by your Holy Spirit you empower us to glorify you in all circumstances. Guide us, by your Spirit, that we might be empowered so help empower others to be witnesses of your kingdom. Amen.