Fellowship – Snacks or a Meal (10 minutes with snacks; longer, obviously, if there is a meal).
Gathering and Opening (10 minutes). In groups of two or three, have participants complete the following sentence, “When reading or reciting a historical creed of the church, I feel…” [Examples could include: nothing, affirmed, consoled, confused, and so on.)
Group Dialogue (Approximately 30 minutes). Read: 2 Timothy 2:8-15.
- How might verse 8 serve as a foundational statement that gives life and direction?
- As a group, read over the Apostle’s Creed, https://www.umc.org/en/content/apostles-creed-traditional-ecumenical (or another creed in The United Methodist Hymnal).
- How might creeds be life-giving?
- What might it mean to “present yourself to God as one approved” (v. 15)?
- What does it mean to you to know that, through our relationship with Christ, we are “approved” by God?
- Why do you think Paul begins verse 15 with “Do you best to…”? What might it look like for you to “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved?” (v. 15)?
- How might doing so serve as a light of hope to others?
Prayer (10 minutes). Share prayer requests and respond appropriately.
Sending Forth (2 minutes). End by praying the following or a similar prayer:
God, who alone is worthy, you have given us the gift of your Son, Jesus Christ. Embolden us to be assured that we are children of God. Empower us as your servants to radiate your glory in all that we do and say. Amen.