FEED THE WORLD | Healing Hands Worship Series, week 5
July 29, 2018
Feed the World (John 6:1-14 (15-21))
Keywords: Signs of healing. Test. Proof. Miracle.
The world is hungry for food, shelter, love, and healing. How can a little bit of food feed thousands of people? What else is the world hungry for? This passage invites humanity to imagine how Jesus can meet the needs of the world and have extra left over. It encourages us to believe that small sacrifices can yield large outcomes.
Recently, I was making a gratitude list prior to visiting with my grandchildren. I wondered what they would include on their list that was on my list. Since they are both “foodies” who love to eat food from different cultures, I believed that they would be grateful that their parents loved to cook and bake great items. I have been with them when food was limited. Although they have a heart to share with one another, I wondered if they would give their lunch to feed others who were hungry. The sacrifice from a small child changed the world because the gift fed the world. Hunger is real!
Having a heart to give all that you have for the sake of others is powerful. That’s a part that could be missed in this passage of Scripture. The demand was high. Time was tight. The crowds were growing. The unmet needs were greater than the resources that were seen at the surface. The disciples worried about the limited amount of food and how it could reach a growing crowd. Jesus called the believers to trust that their physical and spiritual needs would be fulfilled beyond their greatest expectations. What happens when our hearts are transformed? We move from believing that we can only help a few to embracing five thousand. What must we do to embrace our miracles?
Questions from the Scripture:
- How much will it cost to feed all these people? Is proof needed to determine that people need our help?
- Is it our job to make room here for people who have great needs? Trusting God for big things is huge!
- What test is this from Jesus? How are you feeling God’s presence?
The questions are unlimited, but our answers need to indicate our willingness to follow Jesus. Feeding people and meeting unmet needs continues to impact our faith journeys.
Consider reflecting upon these ideas:
- How creative are you in feeding your community? Is your congregation a place of peace and security for the community?
- Are the crowds still seeking healing and food? How are healing prayers shared in your congregation? How is God calling you to believe in miracles?