Week 7: Armored
Fellowship – Snacks or a Meal (10 minutes with snacks; longer, obviously, if there is a meal)
Gathering Time (5-10 minutes). In pairs or groups of three, have participants share when they had to gear up with proper clothing and/or tools for a specific task. (For example, people may need to wear personal protective equipment for the prevention of disease or wear the appropriate clothing and have the right tools for gardening or a sporting event.) How did the gear and/or tools help accomplish the task?
Group Dialogue (Approximately 30 minutes)
Read: Ephesians 6:10-20
- Where does Paul note the source of our strength coming from (v. 10)? [The strength of God’s power.]
- Who does Paul observe as our real enemies (v. 12)? What does this say about who are enemies are and are not? [Oftentimes, our enemies are not specific people, but conditions, situations, and forces beyond our control.]
- Which part of the armor of God do you desire the most and why?
- How might this armor help us to “stand against” evil (v. 11)?
- How might this armor help us to “keep alert” (v. 18)?
- What have you learned in this series to help you and your church be “geared up for life”?
- How can this group be of further help to you as you seek to grow as a disciple of Jesus for the transformation of the world?
Prayer (10 minutes). Share prayer requests and respond appropriately.
Sending Forth (2 minutes). End by praying the following or a similar prayer:
Gracious God, empower us to stand against the evil forces we encounter in this world and to be alert to your presence. May your grace enable us to be imitators of you, to be disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. Amen.
- Discipleship Ministries
- Disciples Living Generously teaching series
- Basics of Faith Formation teaching series
- Engaging Your Community: A Guide to Seeing All the People
- Forming Disciples Through Worship
- How to Have a Courageous Conversation teaching series
- "How to Start Small Groups"
- "Making the Most of Online Small Groups"
- Soul Reset: Breakdown, Breakthrough, and the Journey to Wholeness