Fellowship – Snacks or a Meal (10 minutes with snacks; longer, obviously, if there is a meal).
Gathering Time (5-10 minutes). In groups of two or three, respond to the following, “What is the best gift you’ve ever given or received?”
Group Dialogue (Approximately 30 minutes). Read: John 12:1-8.
- What is the importance of noting, “six days before the Passover” in verse one? [We are nearing the death of Jesus.]
- Imagine you were in the room when this event happened? What did it smell like? What would have been your reaction?
- Why might Judas Iscariot have raised a good point in verse 5?
- What might Mary’s motivation for this action have been? How is Mary’s action a prefiguring of Jesus’ death? [Both are acts of selfless, loving service.]
- Considering Mary’s action shown to be exemplary, what might Jesus mean in verse 8?
- (R) What might this passage be calling us to do?
Prayer (10 minutes). Share prayer requests and respond appropriately.
Sending Forth (2 minutes). End by praying the following or a similar prayer:
God of Extravagance, we acknowledge that our ways are not always your ways. We acknowledge that in your economy, love and service are more precious than the costliness of any item. Reshape our desires and values that they would come more in line with the values of your kingdom. Amen.