Living Worship Series: LISTEN TO ME
May 12, 2019
Week 4 – To Live for Jesus is to Listen to Jesus
Fellowship – Snacks (10 minutes)
Gathering Time (5-10 minutes). In pairs or groups of three, discuss: Name a time when someone failed or exceeded your expectations. Have there been any ways that God has surpassed your expectations?
Group Dialogue (Approximately 30 minutes)
Read: John 10:22-30.
- How did Jesus’ words and actions fail to meet the expectations of the religious leaders? How does Jesus continue to exceed our expectations?
- How do Jesus’ words and actions help clarify or give specificity to our understanding of God?
- Why do people need to believe and follow Jesus today? Why do you need Jesus? How do you continue to listen to Jesus?
- How does this church nurture belief and being followers of Jesus? [small groups, mentoring relationships, resourcing families]
- How does our belief in God help us to hear God’s voice and follow God in the world?
- How does this church foster opportunities for participants to hear God’s voice and follow God in the world? [within worship, mission opportunities, small groups]
Prayer (10 minutes). Share prayer requests and respond appropriately.
Sending Forth (2 minutes). End by praying the following together:
Good Shepherd of our souls, in whom we find health, peace, joy, and strength, through whom we have encountered abundance and have confidence in life everlasting, be our guide. Direct us to greener pastures and empower us to be witnesses of your glory. Amen.
Developing a Intentional Discipleship System: A Guide for Congregations by Junius B. Dotson, Discipleship Ministries, 2017.
Engaging Your Community: A Guide to Seeing All the People by Junius B. Dotson, Discipleship Ministries, 2019.
Apprenticed to Jesus: Discipleship Practices for Growing Christians by Thomas R. Hawkins, Discipleship Resources, 2014.
See All the People seeallthepeople.org
Discipleship Ministries, umcdiscipleship.org