Fellowship – Snacks or a Meal (10 minutes with snacks; longer, obviously, if there is a meal).
Gathering and Opening (10 minutes). In pairs or groups of three, share an experience of experiencing wonder or appreciation for a manmade marvel (a building, art, etc.).
Group Dialogue (Approximately 30 minutes). Read Mark 13:1-8.
- How do you imagine the disciples responded to Jesus’ declaration that the great buildings would be thrown down (v. 2)?
- Why do you think people are still overly fascinated about the timing of the “end times”?
- How is this passage about who we trust and follow? [In verse 5, Jesus warns the disciples that some will seek to lead them astray. In verse 6, Jesus observes that some will try to deceive and trick.]
- How can we disciples today be discerning about who we follow?
- How can wisdom and discernment give us perspective on the seemingly chaotic events that we encounter? How will this help us to live a life that matters?
Prayer (10 minutes). Share prayer requests and respond appropriately.
Sending Forth (2 minutes). End by praying the following or a similar prayer:
Faithful God, we confess that there have been times when we have been tempted to trust in the ways of this world. Yet, we know you are faithful, even when we are faithless. Through the Holy Spirit, guide us, convict us, lead us where you would have us to follow. Help our trust to remain steadfast in your love. Amen.