Week 3: Known by Name
Fellowship – Snacks or a Meal (10 minutes with snacks; longer, obviously, if there is a meal).
Gathering Time (5-10 minutes). In pairs or groups of three, have each participant answer the question, “Did you have a security blanket or favorite stuffed animal when you were young?”
Group Dialogue (Approximately 30 minutes)
Read Exodus 33:12-23
- Share a time when were felt the presence of God. Where were you? Who was there with you?
- What practices enable you to experience the presence God? [For example, prayer, reading Scripture, worship, silence, solitude, and so on.]
- Read the passage, again trying to place yourself in Moses’s shoes. How does it feel to hear God say that God knows your name (v.17)?
- How does assurance of God’s presence (Matthew 28:20) and God’s intimate knowledge of us enable us to press on during difficult times?
- Being assured of God’s presence and trusting that God knows us intimately and still chooses to love us is the foundation of our story as Christians. Yet, many Christians are very reluctant to share their testimony or giving witness to what God has done in their lives. Take a few moments and allow participants to write out their testimonies. A simple outline for a testimony is to (a) explain life before Christ, (b) talk about how you encountered Christ, and (c) note the difference Christ has made in your life.
Prayer (10 minutes). Share prayer requests and respond appropriately.
Sending Forth (2 minutes). Ask for a volunteer to lead the group in prayer or read the following prayer in unison:
Ever-present God, we give you thanks for your abiding presence with us. Guide us to be more aware of opportunities to abide in your presence that we might be assured of status as beloved children of God. Give us the freedom and courage to live as the beloved children of God who are known and loved by you. Amen.