Week 3: Touch and See
Fellowship – Snacks or a Meal (10 minutes with snacks; longer, obviously, if there is a meal). See the note below about information for supporting Native American Ministries.
Gathering Time (5-10 minutes). In pairs or groups of three, have participants share a time they witnessed an event that was unforgettable (an accident, the birth of a child, a baptism, etc.).
Group Dialogue (Approximately 30 minutes)
Read: Luke 24:36b-48
- What is the state of the disciples Jesus encounters in this passage? [Startled and terrified, v. 37; disbelieving and wondering (confused?), v. 41.] Why do you think each of the Gospel writers emphasized this?
- How does this make the disciples more relatable?
- If you were one of the disciples, how would you have heard Jesus’ command to “Touch me and see” or “Grab hold and see”? Would this have brought you assurance, strengthened your belief, or guilt by highlighting your previous doubts?
- How is Luke helping the readers understand the reality of Jesus’ incarnational presence? [We have a tangible faith that is more than just wishful thinking.]
- How does our faith that is grounded in reality inspire us toward acts of mercy and compassion to our neighbors and around the world?
Prayer (10 minutes). Share prayer requests and respond appropriately.
Sending Forth (2 minutes). End by praying the following or a similar prayer:
God of glory and God among us, help us to “grab hold and see” the vision of abundant life you offer us now, the belief that this world is not the end, that our relationship with the Triune God will extend past the grave into all eternity, the hope you give us to encounter your abiding presence of peace. We look forward to experiencing the abundance, justice, and righteousness of your coming realm. Amen.