“Born to Trouble” is a series built on the lectionary readings from the Book of Job. As stated in the general worship notes for this series, the questions arise, “Why do we believe? What is faith all about?” “Born to Trouble” invites us to examine the depth of our souls and the foundations of what we believe. Our mission, to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world, needs to go through the experience of wrestling with Job. It is how we learn to cling to faith, even as we live in this random world.
Our hymnody can be a help to the theme of being heard by God. Songs that let people know they are in God’s mind and in God’s hands help confirm the idea that even when they have no sense of being heard, faith says that God is listening. Singing of God’s active participation in the lives of those who love God can be a powerful witness.
Following are songs that will help you plan for this series. Some of these songs help us access the feelings of lament and despair with the hope of God’s grace and love present to sustain us in hard times. Other songs help us rejoice in adoration for God’s greatness and abundant love for God’s children. Hold both of these themes in creative tension during this series, so that your congregation can grow in faith and understanding.
- United Methodist Hymnal=UMH
- Worship and Song=W&S
- The Faith We Sing=TFWS
THEME SONGS AND SERVICE MUSIC
- “El Shaddai” 123 UMH
- “God of the Sparrow God of the Whale” 122 UMH
- “Give to the Winds Thy Fears” 129 UMH
- “God of Wonders” 3034 W&S
- “Healer of Our Every Ill” 2213 TFWS
- “We Are Called to Sing Your Praise” 2216 TFWS
- “Goodness Is Stronger Than Evil” 2219 TFWS
An anthem that can be used during one of these Sundays or throughout the series as a choral Call to Worship or response to the sermon is Mark Miller’s “I Believe.” The text comes from the wall of a cellar in the Cologne concentration camp during WW2. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiFvgwXPNnE.
October 24, 2021 – Job 42:1-6, 10-17
In this final week of the worship series, we are reminded to give thanks, even as we wait for the coming of the kin-dom. We give thanks because of God’s presence with us and for the joy we find in restoration. Here are some songs that fit this theme.
- “Wonderful Words of Life” 600 UMH
- “My Life Flows On” 2212 TFWS
- “Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee” 89 UMH
- “Through It All” 507 UMH
- “In His Time” 2203 TFWS
- “Better Is One Day,” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Fj9bbEmVk
Choral Anthem for this Sunday
- “What a Wonderful World”/”This is My Father’s World,” https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/what-a-wonderful-world-sheet-music/868952