Ministry with Children (MWC) 'Family Table' Webinar
By Kevin Johnson
DATE: Tuesday, May 24
TIME: 4 p.m. CDT
If you are enthusiastic about children’s and family ministries, then you have a "seat" at the Family Table. The Family Table will provide a monthly Zoom meeting which will provide support and networking opportunities for children's and family ministry leaders. Each session will consist of a presentation of a current topic, trend, or challenge faced in children’s ministry and the opportunity for break-out conversations. Click below to register on Zoom and take your seat at the Family Table on Tuesday, May 24 at 4 p.m. CDT. The first topic will be Volunteerism: Recruiting, Equipping, and Retaining.
Mission statement: To provide a network of children’s and family ministry leaders with resourcing, accountability, and support to enhance the spiritual formation of children and their families within The United Methodist Church.
- The platform of this group will be monthly Zoom calls. Anyone enthusiastic about children’s and family ministries is allowed to join. There is no limitation on the number of participants. Participants may join every month or only months they are available.
- Each session is designed to provide support and networking opportunities for the participants. A session will consist of presentation of a current topic, trend, or challenge faced in children’s ministry and the opportunity for break-out conversations.
- Elements of accountability and support will allow all members to connect and identify with one another, as well as helping to bring clarity to the role of Discipleship Ministries in relationship with constituents.
- This group will also develop relationships with one another and collectively to create group relationships to better connect with local churches across the connection.
- This networking group may also use other Discipleship Ministries’ resources, which may include opportunities for podcasting, website input, as well as virtual and in-person conferences.
- This networking opportunity will address how to better connect and support one another, and the application of ideas generated.
Purpose: To provide rapport, support, and accountability to children’s and family ministries in The United Methodist Church and to encourage relationships with one another and Discipleship Ministries.
Each meeting will begin with a conversation starter such as: “If you could make one statement today about a recent challenge or struggle regarding children’s and family ministries, what would that statement be?” This will be included within introductions.
Rev. Kevin Johnson is the Director, Children’s Ministries for Congregational Vitality & Intentional Discipleship at Discipleship Ministries. Kevin’s hero Fred Rogers suggests that we, “listen to the children, learn about them, learn from them. Think of the children first.” This quote defines Rev. Kev’s approach to ministry. Kevin, an ordained elder of the Kentucky Annual Conference, has over fifteen years of ministry experience in which he has thought of the children first. Prior to ministry, Kevin worked with children in the hospital setting and in group homes for emotionally and physically abused children.