Tom Council graduated from Southern Methodist University with a B.B. and an M.M. in Music Education. He began teaching in the Dallas ISD in 1965. He taught high school choir in Dallas and Mesquite, Texas, until 1995. During those thirty years of teaching, he was active in the Texas Music Educators Association, Texas Choral Directors Association, and American Choral Directors Association. He served as Southwest Chair for the ACDA Jazz and Show Choir Committee. His high school choirs have presented concerts at ACDA (1977) and TMEA (1983) conventions. In 1993, the St. Stephen Choir performed at the Denver ACDA convention with two other Dallas church choirs with Lloyd Pfautsch conducting a concert of his music.
Always an active arranger and composer for school and church, he has published works with Alliance Music, Colla Voce, Southern Music, World Library Publications, Hal Leonard, and Moon of Hope Publishing Company He has written music for The Texas Voices, Turtle Creek Chorale and Booker T. Washington High School. In April 2009, his "We Are the Music Makers" was premiered as part of the opening programs for the new Dallas Center for the Performing Arts in the Meyerson Symphony Center. He has been writing choral sight reading music for Texas choral contests since 1990. He taught composition and vocal classes for several years at Booker T. Washington High School for the performing and Visual Arts in Dallas. At present, he is director of music at St. Stephen UMC in Mesquite, Texas (Dallas County).
3006 Powell Dr.
Rowlett, TX 75088
Works by Tom Council on the Discipleship Ministries website:
- A New Creed: A Choral Setting
- All Creatures Of Our God And King (Organ)
- Angel Gabriel
- Be Thou My Vision
- Christ Has No Body Now on Earth
- Christ Is Made The Sure Foundation
- Christ The Lord Is Risen Today (Hymn Intrada IV)
- Come And Share Our Bread - Contemporary Communion Song
- Come and Share Our Bread: Praise Anthem for World Communion Sunday
- Come, Holy Spirit
- Come, Ye Sinners, Poor and Needy -- Choral Introit
- Doxology And Gloria Patri
- For All the Saints
- Gloria Patri (Council)
- I Have Decided to Follow Jesus (for SATB a cappella choir and soloist)
- I Will Give Thanks: A Setting of Psalm 111
- Jesus Walked this Lonesome Valley - Choral Introit
- Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence (Council) - Choral Introit
- The Lord's Prayer - For choir or congregation and choir
- Three Choral Prayers: "Holy One," "Holy God," and "Like a River"
- Musical Setting for Holy Communion
- O For A Thousand Tongues To Sing (Hymn Intrada III, Azmon)
- O God We Ain’t What We Oughta Be
- O Sons and Daughters, Let Us Sing: Introit for Easter
- O Wondrous Sight! O Vision Fair - Transfiguration Hymn
- O Wondrous Sight! (SATB Choral Anthem)
- Praise God, From Whom All Blessings Flow (Contemporary)
- Prepare The Way Of The Lord (Council) - Choral Introit
- Santo (Holy)
- This Is A Great And Joyous Day - Choral Introit for Easter
- Uniting Love
- We Believe in One True God
- What Does the Lord Require of You?
- What Does the Lord Require of You? (Anthem)
- What Wondrous Love Is This: Choral Introit for Lent