Fellowship – Snacks or a Meal (10 minutes with snacks; longer, obviously, if there is a meal)
Gathering Time (5-10 minutes). In groups of two or three, respond to the following, “Who has been the strongest motherly influence in your life?”
Group Dialogue (Approximately 30 minutes). Read: Acts 9:36-43
- Who might be the “Dorcas” of your community? The person devoted to good works who seems to be the relational center of the community?
- What might Peter have felt when he was asked to come, and he saw the grief of the people and their relationship to Dorcas?
- How is this story similar to stories of Jesus in the Gospels? Might Peter have had flashbacks to the ministry of Jesus?
- What was the result of Dorcas’ resuscitation? [Verse 42 notes that many believed.]
- How is Peter continuing the ministry of Jesus? [The kingdom is coming near in and through the work of the Holy Spirit.]
- (R) How might this story being calling us to live? How does the ministry of Jesus continue through the church today?
Prayer (10 minutes). Share prayer requests and respond appropriately.
Sending Forth (2 minutes). End by praying the following or a similar prayer:
God of Resurrection, you have called us as your witnesses to “Get up” and follow you. We acknowledge we can do so only through the power of your Holy Spirit. Help us to discern where the Holy Spirit is guiding us and calling us as your witnesses. Amen.