Somos del Señor – God Gives the Growth
Fellowship – Snacks (10 minutes)
Gathering Time (5-10 minutes). In pairs or groups of three, have participants discuss the following: “When did you first ‘feel’ like an adult? What happened or occurred for you to feel that way?”
Read: 1 Corinthians 3:1-9
- When Paul asserts that the Corinthian church is not ready for “solid food” and are “still of the flesh,” what evidence does Paul give of their infantile faith (vv. 3-4)? [The community still entertains jealousy and factions. There is a tribalism, “I belong to Apollos or Paul,” etc.] Do we see similar evidences of factions today within the church at large? What about the church we attend?
- What does Paul give as a solution to their continued divisive ways (vv. 5-10)? [Servanthood modeled by Paul that allows others to have glory and to focus on the mission (v. 9).]
- How does the fractured nature of the church (10,000s of denominations) work against the mission of God?
- If you used an image to express where you are on your faith journey, what image would you choose and why? [Could use an image from agriculture (seed, seedling, immature plant, and so on) or an image from biology (infant, child, teenager, and so on) or something else.]
- How has God used others to encourage you and help you grow in the faith?
- Who might God be leading you to nurture and encourage in the faith this week?
Prayer (10 minutes). Share prayer requests and respond appropriately.
Sending Forth (2 minutes). End by praying the following or similar prayer:
God, we know that you seek the salvation and sanctification of the world. We give you thanks for those who have served to nurture us and encourage us in the faith. Empower us to be your servants to all those we come in contact with this week. Amen.