The Lenten season offers musicians myriad resources for solos, ensembles, and choirs. Since this series is focused on embracing the Resurrected One with a whole heart, we will look at hymns and modern songs that point us in that direction. Lent gives us space to clean house and to receive the one we call Lord. And, although Lent can be an intense time as we lean into some of the more somber moments of Jesus’ life, we must also hold in counterpoint the joy and hope that our congregations need to hear on the journey. During Lent, we have the opportunity to claim the life that Christ teaches and lives out before us. As you plan music for your worship services, find the tension between what is and the promise of what will be.
First Sunday in Lent – This Is the Sign
February 21, 2021 – Genesis 9:8-17
The focus of this reading is God’s covenant with God’s people. Here are a few hymn suggestions.
- “In the Midst of New Dimensions,” The Faith We Sing, 2238
- “God of the Sparrow,” The United Methodist Hymnal, 122
- Modern worship “Cornerstone, ” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3HH__-1Zbs; Choir, https://youtu.be/WaWUH2RLGCA
- “Jesus Is the Cornerstone” Sheet Music, https://youtu.be/B7cjCqdJMWs
- “Let There Be Peace On Earth,” https://youtu.be/SjfgQjuInTo
- Promises, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5m09rqOoxE