Advent begins with a call to get ready, and it is a reminder to get out of our sense of complacency. However, it is hard to be complacent when things are difficult. When all is going well, then we need the two-by-four of Advent to wake us up. But when things are difficult, we use Advent as a prayer, as a reminder to hope. The following are some hymn suggestions that pair with the selected readings for this worship series.
- UMH: United Methodist Hymnal
- TFWS: The Faith We Sing
- W&S: Worship and Song
Second Sunday of Advent
God’s just peace may not be quiet, but quiet is absolutely necessary for us to be able to participate with God’s just peace.
- O Come, O Come, Emmanuel UMH 211
- Let There Be Peace on Earth UMH 431
- For the Healing of the Nations UMH 428
- Peace for the Children W&S 3125
- People, Look East UMH 202
- Blessed Be the God of Israel UMH 209
- He Came Down TFWS 2085