Fellowship – Snacks or a Meal (10 minutes with snacks; longer, obviously, if there is a meal)
Gathering Time (5-10 minutes). In groups of two or three, respond to the following, “When do you feel most at home?”
- Do you identify more with Elijah (the one who is superior; the one who is the mentor) or with Elisha (the one who seems to be dependent on another; the one who is the mentee)? Why?
- Who holds power in your church? [pastor, church council, trustees, staff/pastor relations committee, worship committee, informal matriarchs or patriarchs] Do they exercise power well? If not, who might you be in conversation with to help?
- How can we be good stewards of power? [Agree to mentor those who do not feel as though they are ready for leadership.]
- If the “author” in authority can mean to “breathe into or be a creative agent,” how might that change how we view those in authority?
- Who have you been empowered by? [God, leaders at work or at church, family members] Whom do you feel called to empower?
- Why do you think the disciples responded the way they did in Luke 9:54?
- How would you restate Jesus’ answers to the would-be followers?
- (R) What do we learn about God from this passage? What does this passage tell us about ourselves?
- (R) How is it possible to experience “home” wherever the Spirit guides us?
Prayer (10 minutes). Share prayer requests and respond appropriately.
Sending Forth (2 minutes). End by praying the following or a similar prayer:
God our refuge, we are only truly present when we are in your presence. Empty us of ego, power, and the need for status or fame. Empty us that we might be filled with the presence of your Spirit to see the hurts and needs in others that we might be present with them, trusting that you are already present and inviting us deeper into your love. Amen.