Second Sunday After Christmas: The Light of Home
Jeremiah 31:7-14 and John 1:(1-9), 10-18
Fellowship – Snacks or a Meal (10 minutes with snacks; longer, obviously, if there is a meal)
Gathering Time (5-10 minutes). In pairs or groups of three, have participants share hopes for the coming year.
Group Dialogue (Approximately 30 minutes)
Read: Jeremiah 31:7-14 and John 1:(1-9), 10-18
- How might we be part of the “world” that John mentions in 1:10? How might we be part of the people who did not accept Jesus in 1:11?
- How are we also those who receive and believe in Jesus from 1:12?
- How do we see God’s glory in Jesus?
- How have we received “grace upon grace” (v. 16)?
- How has grace and truth come through Jesus (v. 17)?
- How is Jesus the true light of the world (v. 9)?
- Optional Exercise – Participate in a Wesley Covenant Service (United Methodist Book of Worship, 288) at your church or a nearby United Methodist Church. Also see the Discipleship Ministries Resource at https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/resources/covenant-renewal-service.
Prayer (10 minutes). Share prayer requests and respond appropriately.
Sending Forth (2 minutes). End by praying the following or a similar prayer:
God of life and light, it is through you that we experience grace upon grace. Through your Holy Spirit, may we see the world as you see it. May we continue to desire a home in your righteousness and love. Amen.
- Discipleship Ministries
- Disciples Living Generously teaching series
- Basics of Faith Formation teaching series
- Engaging Your Community: A Guide to Seeing All the People
- Forming Disciples Through Worship
- How to Have a Courageous Conversation teaching series
- "How to Start Small Groups"
- "Making the Most of Online Small Groups"
- Soul Reset: Breakdown, Breakthrough, and the Journey to Wholeness