Generous Church Leadership
The Generous Church Leadership online course has been designed to help clergy develop their understanding and confidence with local church finances so they will be better equipped to lead their congregations to see generosity as a key component of a maturing disciple of Jesus Christ.
Watch this short video as Rev. Ken Sloane, Director of Stewardship & Generosity and author of the course content, shares what you can expect from this amazing course!
Wonderful reviews from past course participants:
- “The idea that giving, being a generous church in all ways as discipleship will go a long way towards the faithful survival of this church. I am indebted to you for this course.” – Rebecca G.
- “This course has further enabled me to be a confident, convicted advocate for faithful generosity and generous congregation leadership. In my role with a UM Foundation, I have the opportunity to bring this message to local churches and clergy.” – Sherry P.
- “It has deepened my appreciation for and understanding of generosity as an aspect of discipleship. It has offered me tools that I can use in my leadership and resources that I can revisit.” – Joseph J.
- “As I write this, I'm reflecting how this has been EXACTLY the educational experience I need right now. I signed up for the CEUs. But every module has been priceless for me.” – Tom P.
A collaborative work of five general agencies of The United Methodist Church, each of the six sessions includes:
- Reading assignments
- Check-in questions
- Opening devotions
- Videos with discussion questions
- Case studies
- Course support from leading professionals
The hope for the course is that participants will grow in their understanding of their leadership role in local church finances and be able to connect and articulate generosity as a key component of a growing, authentic disciple of Jesus Christ.
A 6-Session Series with Topics Including:
- Theology of Money
- Pastor as Generosity Leader
- A Disciple’s Relationship to Money
- Nurturing Generous Leaders
- Generosity the United Methodist Way
- Moving to a Congregational Culture of Generosity
A major portion of the learning content for the Generous Church Leadership Course comes from the required reading list. To get the most from your course experience, we encourage you not to start a new module until you have completed the reading assigned in preparation for that module.
You may secure the books however you wish, but you can purchase them as a discounted bundle (with free shipping) from Cokesbury.com.
This helpful course is available in three different settings: Online (for individual study) or in Clergy Cohorts (in-person, or remote using tools like Zoom) organized at the annual conference or district level. All designed to help you, your church, and Annual Conference grow in generosity. For more information on planning a Cohort, contact Ken Sloane ([email protected]).
For clergy whose churches—due to present financial pressures—are not able to help with the course fee, please email Ken Sloane ([email protected]) for assistance.