Blessed are the Poor: Session 1 - Economic Poverty Webinar
Rev. Dr. Michael L. Bowie, Jr., the National Director of Strengthening the Black Church for the 21st Century (SBC21), and Rev. Mary Downey, CEO and founder of Community Hope Center, will have a conversation on the experiences of economic poverty, the role of the church in engaging the community, and working towards justice while offering compassion so that all would have the opportunity to thrive. From a theological and biblical understanding of who God is and how we relate to God and one another, our two panelists will help to offer stories of lives transformed as well as some lessons learned and best practices so that local congregations can take action.
Blessed are the Poor, is a webinar series designed to help church leaders engage with the people in their communities and reflect on the different ways in which people experience poverty.
This webinar will help contribute to the mission of making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
Discipleship Ministries and Path 1 will be exploring the many experiences of poverty in two-hour sessions that will take place once a month for five months, from October 2020 through February 2021.
- Economic poverty
- Cultural poverty
- Physical poverty
- Spiritual poverty
- Political poverty
Each Session Includes:
- Panelists offering perspectives on a national and global level
- Panelist sharing experiences, learnings, and best practices to help leaders in local church settings
- Resource guide complete with theological discussion questions, Bible study, and community engagement tools
- Cohort community options for further discussion and support in implementing actionable steps
- Digital bundle of online resources to assist leaders during the series
You are invited to consider this series as an opportunity to support your continued discernment of how God is calling you and your congregation to engage with your community and your work for justice, so that all people will have the opportunity to experience God’s power for life and live into what God desires for us— the beloved community.
The course begins October 22!