This litany may be incorporated into a service of commitment to Christian service, an installation service, a new beginning in faith, an ordination service, or other service where people who have been called by God are being recognized and set apart for the work of ministry, lay or ordained.
Suggested song refrains:
- "Take, O Take Me as I Am," Iona Community, GIA Publications, Inc. Strongly recommended.
- 2130, "The Summons," The Faith We Sing (Use only the first phrase as a refrain; sing the whole text at the conclusion. Or have a solo voice sing the "refrain" as Jesus calling; at the conclusion of the litany, all sing stanza 5.
- 2242, "Walk with Me," The Faith We Sing (Use only the refrain.)
- 2137, "Would I Have Answered When You Called, " The Faith We Sing (Use the last stanza)
- 338, "Where He Leads Me," The United Methodist Hymnal (Use only the refrain)
- 356, "Pues Si Vivimos" ("When We Are Living"), The United Methodist Hymnal (Use only the refrain.)
Who is up to the task?
When God calls from the bush, along the road, in the stillness of the night?
Moses, Miriam, Jeremiah, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Mary, Peter on the morning after — did they feel up to the task?
Who dares heed God's call?
Hearts frozen in self-doubt; minds reeling with what makes no sense; eyes blinded by the light; "Woe is me, I can't do that!"
"Go to Pharaoh and say what?! I dont know how to speak, Im only a boy."
"How can this be, Im only a young woman?"
God just doesnt seem to be a very good judge of character and ability.
"Why? O, why did God choose me?"
"I am with you. Dont be afraid," the Holy, Holy, Holy says.
"Simon, Simon . . . I have prayed for you . . . strengthen your brothers and sisters," says the cross-facing One.
"Saul, get up and go to Damascus; there you will be told everything that has been assigned for you to do," says the lover of Gentiles to the blinded Pharisee.
"You will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you."
"I will put my spirit within you, and you shall live! Then you shall know that I, the Holy One, have spoken and will act," says the Lord.
With all of them we sing:
For specific services in The United Methodist Book of Worship, see "A Celebration of New Beginnings in Faith" (588), "An Order for Commitment to Christian Service" (591), "An Order for Commissioning to Short-term Christian Service" (592), "An Order for the Recognition of a Candidate" (593), and orders of installation or recognition or commissioning, 599-602. Use the service to follow a Scripture reading or to lead into the presentation and questioning of the person(s) being commissioned, installed, ordained, or recognized.