Looking for a good way to earn those CE credits?
Two ecumenical preaching events are coming up that you might want to consider attending.
Both of these events feature an ecumenical cast of speakers. Information is presented primarily through lectures, although I would imagine workshop formats might include time for questions and interactions with the speaker.
I have found lecture-style preaching events to be helpful in several ways: they point me to books I might want to read, introduce me to new scholarship in homiletics, and offer the chance to listen to some of the best preachers and scholars in the nation. Do they help improve preaching? Not directly. Improving preaching happens best through smaller, sustained teaching and mentoring efforts. However, these types of events do have a place in the ongoing work of improving preaching. If you have time and money for only one event, you might choose one of these.
Sewanee School of Theology Conference
April 20-21, 2017
A Surprising Authority: the Homiletical Legacy of Fred B. Craddock
On April 20-21, 2017, in lectures, workshops, and worship, participants will explore and celebrate the legacy of the most important homiletician of our time.
Keynote and Workshop Speakers:
- Thomas B. Long, Bandy Professor of Preaching Emeritus, Candler School of Theology
- Teresa Fry Brown, Bandy Professor of Preaching, Candler School of Theology
- William Brosend, Professor of New Testament and Preaching, School of Theology
- O. Wesley Allen, Lois Craddock Perkins Professor of Homiletics, Perkins School of Theology
- Michael Graves, Wm. K. McElvaney Professor of Preaching and Worship, St. Paul School of Theology
- Ronald J. Allen, Professor of Preaching and Gospels and Letters, Christian Theological Seminary
- Ruthanna Hooke, Associate Professor of Preaching, Virginai Theological Seminary
Festival of Homiletics
San Antonio, Texas
May 15-19, 2017
“Preaching on the Borders”
This is a big annual event with great speakers that attracts attendees from all denominations. It can be an expensive week, but worth going to at least once for every person who seeks to improve his or her preaching.
- Rev. Grace Imathieu
- Brian McLaren
- Rev. Otis Moss III
- Dr. Luke Powery
- Rev. Nadia-Botz Weber
- Dr. Matt Skinner
- Bishop Will Willimon
- Rev. Anthony Baily
- Rev. Rob Bell
- And many others!