Praying for Our Leaders
"Remember your leaders, those who spoke the word of God to you; consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith."
Presidents' Dayis a good reminder that we need to be in prayer for our leaders. You can go to the library or conduct an Internet search to find out more about the religious faith of our presidents and other world leaders. You may even discover how their faith had an impact on their lives. Encourage children to pray for our current president, other national and local leaders, and leaders throughout the global community.
As you talk with children about the importance of praying for leaders, remind them to pray for those leaders who consistently share the word of God with them. You can prepare a fun survey form that children can give to their pastors, Sunday school teachers, and other church leaders. You can even e-mail the survey to missionaries. On the survey, ask questions that will help the children become better acquainted with their church leaders. The survey might include questions seeking general information, such as birthdates, the names and types of family pets, favorite foods, and most memorable childhood activities. Encourage the children to come up with additional questions. Make sure that they ask questions that are similar to the following:
- When and how did God call you into ministry?
- In what ways are you a stewardship leader?
- How can I pray for you?
Collect the surveys, and encourage children to pray for a different person each day. Attach each leader's picture to his or her survey.
Alternative Activity: Set aside a special time when church leaders can be interviewed by the children. Close the interviews with a prayer. Send each person a card or note expressing gratitude for his or her ministry.
The projects above will help children realize the importance of Christian leaders and our need to pray for them.
Questions for Discussion
- What surprised you about your church leaders?
- What responsibilities do church leaders have for stewardship within the church and the larger community?
- In what ways might the president and other leaders be stewardship leaders for our country and for the world?
- What do you admire about these leaders and why?
- What did you learn that will help you pray for these individuals?