The season of Lent, a 40-day journey, provides the church an awesome opportunity to turn toward God as we prepare our hearts for the mystery of Easter. During Lent, it is important for us to model appropriate disciplines that help children understand the meaning of this time of preparation.
Listed below are weekly devotionals for churches and families to experience together. The hope is that these will guide families into times of reflection and renewal during this holy season. Each devotional introduces the weekly Gospel reading (following lectionary year C), a spiritual discipline, practical ways to practice the spiritual discipline at home, and a family prayer. May this be a holy time for you and your family as you get your hearts and homes ready for the mystery of Easter.
Other resources for your churches and families to use during this season of spiritual preparation
- Preparing for Lent Webinar and Resource Sheet
- Lent Resource Suggestions from seasoned Children’s ministers
- 2016 Family Study for Lent
- Coins for Lent
- Pockets Lenten Activities
- Living Liturgically: Videos for teaching spiritual disciplines
- UMC resources
- Come Worship With Me - Boling
- Godly Play Volume 4: 20 Presentations for Spring- Berryman
- Seasons of Faith: Teaching the Christian Year- Abingdon Press