Carolyn Winfrey Gillette has deep Methodist roots. She grew up in a Methodist family, and her father was a graduate of Drew Seminary. She was baptized and confirmed in Methodist congregations. She graduated from United Methodist Church-related Lebanon Valley College, and her parents continue to be active members of a United Methodist congregation in Hagerstown, Maryland. Carolyn received her M.Div. from Princeton Theological Seminary in 1985. Carolyn's hymns have been sung by congregations in every state of the USA and in several other countries; they have been on national PBS-TV three times and the BBC-TV in the United Kingdom.
Noel Paul Stookey of, Peter, Paul and Mary, made a music video with Emmy winner Pete Staman of Carolyn's hymn, O God, Our Words Cannot Express, which was written on September 11. Her hymns are found on the national websites of the Discipleship Ministries of The United Methodist Church, UMCOR, the Presbyterian Church (USA), American Baptist Churches, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, the Reformed Church in America, the Souper Bowl of Caring, the National Council of Churches, and Church World Service.
Carolyn's book Songs of Grace: New Hymns for God and Neighbor was published in 2009 by Upper Room Books. United Methodist Bishop William Boyd Grove and Carolyn were commissioned to write hymns for the inauguration services for Churches Uniting in Christ. Carolyn's book Gifts of Love: New Hymns for Today's Worship (Geneva Press, 2000) is a collection of forty-five of her hymns. Her hymns are also in the new supplements for the Episcopal and Presbyterian hymnals. The United Church of Canada's hymnal supplement (2007) will include six of Carolyn's hymns. The Circuit Rider, The Christian Century, The Presbyterian Outlook, Presbyterians Today, Horizons, Ideas! For Church Leaders, Church Society, and other magazines have published her hymns. Perform a search to view two of her anthems that were recently published by the Choristers Guild.
Carolyn was commissioned to write the lead article for the special issue on "Singing Our Lives" for Baylor University's Christian Reflection journal in 2006. Carolyn and her husband Bruce have been the co-pastors of Limestone Presbyterian Church in Wilmington, Delaware since August 2004. They had previously served as co-pastors in Pitman, New Jersey, for ten years. (Pitman started as a Methodist Camp Meeting, and it is where, In the Garden, was first sung.) They wrote the ecumenical guide for the popular Active Parenting Now (third edition) with Mary Jane Pierce Norton of The United Methodist Discipleship Ministries as a consultant. They wrote the study/action guide for Transforming Families and the Christian Family Week worship and educational resource for the Presbyterian Church (USA). They are the parents of three children (John, Catherine, and Sarah). Carolyn has led workshops around the country on hymns, church music, and family ministries.
Carolyn Winfrey Gillette
Co-Pastor, Limestone Presbyterian Church
3201 Limestone Road
Wilmington, Delaware 19808-2198
Office Phone: 302-994-5646
Church website: www.limestonepresbyterian.org
Hymns by Carolyn Winfrey Gillette on the Discipleship Ministries Website:
- 335,609 (I Cried to God)
- A King Once Told His Servants
- A King Planned a Party
- A Man Owned a Vineyard
- A Pharisee Was Praying
- A Prophet Has a Lonely Task
- A Voice Was Heard in Ramah
- All of Life Is Filled with Wonder
- As Jesus Faced the Council
- At The Dawn Of Your Creation
- Christ, in Capernaum
- Christ, You Are the Savior
- Christ, You Teach Us of Your Kingdom
- Christ Would Not Cast the Judgment Stone
- Down by the Jordan
- The Earth Is the Lord's
- Father, Forgive Them
- God of All Learning
- God of Creation - Hymn after Hurricane Katrina
- God of Love, We've Heard the Teaching
- God of the Women
- God, Bless the Poet's Heart and Hand
- God, Each Day You Give Is Precious - Hymn for Organ and Tissue Donor Sunday/Donor Sabbath
- God, How Can We Comprehend?
- God, We've Known Such Grief and Anger
- God, We Have Heard It, Sounding in the Silence
- God, Whose Love Is Always Stronger
- God, With Joy We Look Around Us
- God, You Give Us Recreation - Hymn for Souper Bowl Sunday
- God Who Ordered All Creation
- Good Shepherd, We Are Not Alone
- Have the Mind That Was in Jesus
- How Can We Sing a Joyful Song?
- In Haiti There Is Anguish
- In Times of Great Decision (Gillette)
- In Times of Great Decision (Kleinheksel, Sr.)
- Jesus, We Know Your Love in This
- Jesus Asked One Day
- Jesus Sat and Watched the Crowd
- Listen, Sisters! Listen, Brothers!
- Long Ago, When Pharaoh's Daughter
- Lord, Hear the Cries of Children
- Lord, Let Your Servant Go in Peace
- Lord, You Are My Shepherd
- Lord, You Teach Us to Be Humble
- Lord, When Were You in Prison?
- O Christ, When You Ascended
- O God of Light, May Our Light Shine
- O God Of Mighty Wind And Flame
- O God, Be Merciful To Me
- O God, Come Sunday Morning
- O God, Creator of All Things
- O God, From Our Working You Call Us Away
- O God, Our Hearts Were Shattered
- O God, That Great Tsunami
- O God, the Things That Make for Peace
- O God, We Yearn for Safety
- O God, We've Prayed in Wind and Rain
- O God, Who Formed Creation
- O God, You Call for Justice
- O God, You Give Welcome
- O God, You Love the Needy
- O God, You Send Us Out To Walk
- O God, Your Creatures Fill the Earth
- O Jesus, You Were Born To Be
- O Jesus, You Were Born To Be (Text Notes)
- O Teacher, Don't You Care?
- On the Beach, the Waves of Waters
- Once a Father Told His Children
- Once a Woman Seeking Water
- One Day the News Was Grim
- Our Lord, You Stood In Pilate's Hall
- Peter Said, 'I'm Going Fishing'
- Perhaps You Have Been Chosen
- A Prayer for Our Children
- Remember There Was Once a Day
- Ten Bridesmaids Waited for the Time
- The Children Come
- The Love of Christ Jesus Is Urging Us On
- The Peace that We Share
- The Persian King Was Angry
- To What Can the Kingdom of God be Compared?
- We Love To Sound Your Praises
- "We Played the Flute!" The Children Said
- We Pray for Youth We Dearly Love
- What a Joy, this Habitation!
- Whatever You Do
- When Christ Went to the Temple
- When Jesus Called You Father
- When Mary Poured a Rich Perfume Based on John 12:1-9
- When Thomas Heard from Jesus
- When Waters Roar and Foam
- Where Is Bread?
- Who Is My Neighbor?
- You Have Searched Me, Lord, and Known Me
- You Made Us in Your Image
- Young Joseph the Dreamer
- Zacchaeus Was a Tax Man
- We Join in Proclaiming
A complete list of hymns by Carolyn Winfrey Gillette can be found at www.carolynshymns.com.