2013 Advent Wreath Meditations: First Sunday of Advent (McIntyre)
First Sunday of Advent: December 1, 2013
Isaiah 2:1-5 (NRSV)
- The word that Isaiah son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem.
- In the days to come the mountain of the Lord’s house shall be established as the highest of the mountains, and shall be raised above the hills; all the nations shall stream to it.
- Many peoples shall come and say, "Come, let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; that he may teach us his ways and that we may walk in his paths." For out of Zion shall go forth instruction, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.
- He shall judge between the nations, and shall arbitrate for many peoples; they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.
- O house of Jacob, come, let us walk in the light of the Lord!
O God, this year people all over the world have known hardship, poverty, sickness, loss of work; and some have known war. So many have suffered, some have died, while others have mourned. It has been a difficult time in our nation and around the world.
We thank you for your promise of a time when swords will be exchanged for shovels and when tanks will be replaced by tractors.
We look forward to the promised day when nations will live together in peace; and when we learn, not about war, but about you and one another.
(Light the first candle.)
Lord, may the light of this first candle shine bright and clear, reminding us of your promise of peace on earth.
Song: "It Came Upon the Midnight Clear," stanza 4 (United Methodist Hymnal, 218)
For lo! The days are hastening on, by prophet seen of old,
When with the ever-circling years shall come the time foretold
When peace shall over all the earth its ancient splendors fling,
And the whole world send back the song which soon the angels sing.
(All): Come, Lord Jesus, come. Amen.