New Church Starts
Becoming a Path 1 Recommended Coach
Becoming a Path 1 Coach isn’t just a calling, it is a community. The Path 1 Coach recommendation process is a combination of self-directed learning, live training, mentoring, and demonstrated competency.
To be officially recommended as a Path 1 Coach, and be promoted as such to the larger church, you will need to complete the following tasks.
- Attend and demonstrate competency in Basic Coach Training.
- Complete Path 1 Facilitation Intensive
- Complete Path 1 Consultation Intensive
- Read the following texts and pass online quizzes (these requirements may change over time, as new research and best practices emerge):
- The Forgotten Ways: Reactivating the Missional Church - Alan Hirsh
- Ten Common Mistakes Church Planters Make – Jim Griffith and Bill Easum
- Christ-Centered Coaching: 7 Benefits for Ministry Leaders – Jane Creswell
- Attend Boot Camp or other Basic Planter Training (events by Jim Griffith and Associates, Path 1 Launchpad Training, or equivalent)
- Be coached by a Recommended Coach (minimum of 5 hours).
- Apprentice with a Recommended Coach in coaching a new church plant.
- Complete a case-study based online examination.
Prior coach training and experience will be considered toward the fulfillment of certain components and will be evaluated by Path 1 staff on a case-by-case basis.
To keep up with the latest ideas in church planting, we recommend coaches and potential coaches attend other church planting training events. Additionally, we can accommodate Annual Conferences who want Path 1 to deliver training onsite.
Still have questions? Check out the Coaching FAQs page.
Please contact Phil Maynard, Path 1 Coaching Network Director, with specific questions about becoming a Path 1 Recommended Coach.