Coins for Lent 2020
By Kevin Johnson
During Lent, many of us are reminded once again to examine our lifestyles and ask, "What can we do for others?" Part of Faith Formation at any age is compassion and offering a serving heart to our neighbor. Lent is a good time to commit to giving money to a project that helps those in need. One way to involve the whole family is to collect coins during the season of Lent, then donate what has been collected after Easter. Follow our Coins for Lent Giving Calendar as a guide.
If you decide to do this as a family or as a congregation, first determine where you would like your money to go. Maybe you have a community food bank that could use funds to purchase food for the hungry. Maybe you would like to contribute to a larger project beyond your local community.
Heifer International is an agency that addresses need around the world. Ending hunger and poverty around the world is a shared vision between the people of The United Methodist Church and Heifer International, which helps families to become self-sufficient in sustainable ways. You can find out more about Heifer International at heifer.org. Or you may know of another project to which you would like to give your money. Select one for your gifts.
Once you have selected a project, decide what coins you want to collect. You may want to contribute a quarter for every item on the giving calendar. You may want to simply collect loose change and give whatever coins you have for each item.
Now make a container to collect the money. Use a plastic tub, or a jar, or a coin bank that you aren't currently using in your home. Decorate this and place it where the entire family can see.
Items on the daily guide will remind us of all we have and how little others may have. Each Sunday, take time to pray as a family for the project for which you are collecting money and the people who will benefit from your gifts. Our giving begins on Ash Wednesday and concludes with Holy Saturday. In Lent and always, Sundays are for worship and praise to God.
- Ash Wednesday – February 26: A coin for every lamp
- February 27: A coin for every light switch
- February 28: A coin for every candle
- February 29: A coin for every light bulb
- March 1: Pray today, thanking God for the gift of light. Pray for those who live in darkness.
- March 2: A coin for every box of Band-Aids
- March 3: A coin for every bottle of vitamins
- March 4: A coin for every box of tissues
- March 5: A coin for every prescription medication
- March 6: A coin for every toothbrush and tube of toothpaste
- March 7: A coin for every doctor or dentist who cares for you
- March 8: Pray today, thanking God for your health. Pray for those who are sick.
- March 9: A coin for every ball cap or hat
- March 10: A coin for every pair of shoes
- March 11: A coin for every pair of jeans or pants
- March 12: A coin for every coat
- March 13: A coin for every t-shirt
- March 14: A coin for every sweatshirt
- March 15: Pray today, thanking God for clothing that protects you from the elements. Pray for those who lack clothing to keep them warm and dry.
- March 16: A coin for every ball or piece of athletic equipment
- March 17: A coin for every electronic video game
- March 18: A coin for every smart device
- March 19: A coin for every television
- March 20: A coin for every doll or stuffed animal
- March 21: A coin for every board or card game
- March 22: Pray today, thanking God for how you can enjoy entertainment in your home. Pray for those who would be grateful for just one of these items.
- March 23: A coin for every box of cereal
- March 24: A coin for every can of soup
- March 25: A coin for every type of bread
- March 26: A coin for every jar of jelly
- March 27: A coin for every bottle of salad dressing
- March 28: A coin for every jar of peanut butter
- March 29: Pray today, thanking God for the food you enjoy. Pray for those who have no food this day.
- March 30: A coin for every room in your home
- March 31: A coin for every electrical outlet in your home
- April 1: A coin for every chair in your home
- April 2: A coin for every desk in your home
- April 3: A coin for every bathroom
- April 4: A coin for every bed
- April 5 (Palm Sunday): Pray today, thanking God for shelter. Pray for those who have no place to sleep at night.
- April 6: A coin for every Bible
- April 7: A coin for every book of hymns or sacred songs in your home
- April 8: A coin for every cross in your home
- April 9: A coin for every prayer you say today
- April 10: A coin for every story of Jesus you can tell
- April 11: A coin for every person in your family
- Easter Sunday: April 12: Pray, thanking God for Jesus and for the many ways we can gather and worship God. Pray for those who do not have the freedom to freely worship God.
Revised from the 2018 Coins for Lent Giving Calendar by MaryJane Pierce Norton
Rev. Kevin Johnson is the Director, Children’s Ministries for Congregational Vitality & Intentional Discipleship at Discipleship Ministries. Kevin’s hero Fred Rogers suggests that we, “listen to the children, learn about them, learn from them. Think of the children first.” This quote defines Rev. Kev’s approach to ministry. Kevin, an ordained elder of the Kentucky Annual Conference, has over fifteen years of ministry experience in which he has thought of the children first. Prior to ministry, Kevin worked with children in the hospital setting and in group homes for emotionally and physically abused children.